Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Braised Beef Shanks

I have been wanting to try beef shanks for a long time...for several reasons.  One being that they are generally an inexpensive cut of meat (even if you are buying grass-fed quality.)  I don't know if this is because people are frightened by them or what.  The even more pressing reason for my wanting to try them was for the marrow.  All the recipes that I looked over whooped and hollered about this so-called marrow bone.  I wanted to see what all the hype was about, and obviously I will go above and beyond to do things that are deeemd as healthy.  So the search was on and I found these beautiful beef shanks. 

Now comes the part where I get all whiny because my plans changed, but I believe now that they changed for the better.  I am a planner. It's really all that I do.  In fact, recent nights have been plagued by my constant "planning" that I even waking up to pee turns into an hour long ordeal trying to fall back asleep.  Anyway -- so I planned to have these beef shanks for dinner tonight, and I had found the perfect recipe (in the crockpot.)  On shifts where I work a good part of the day (10 am to 6:30 pm) I usually plan a meal for my trusty crockpot.  Fits into my schedule perfectly.  Well, that was the case until the night before one of my fellow managers sends a text not at all asking but telling me that I will no longer be working that shift but will be closing instead.  That means I will be home from work around 10 pm.  Oh no!!  That wouldn't work.  There went my wonderful beef shank/marrow bone day.  So I texted out a really nasty message back, didn't press send, and just sat there fuming trying to re-think this all through.  Did it really matter?  Could I just find another way?  So after some deep breaths...okay, okay...yeah, it's not that big of a deal.  NBD.

So I decided screw the crockpot; we'll just cook these babies on low in the oven until I have to go to work.  And that meant that rather than enjoying my beef shank and marrow bone goop with Jason at home I was going to be re-heating it in the microwave, from a tupperware in our musty ol' breakroom.  Aye...but focus Jennifer -- it's not about THAT, it's about eating healthy, remember!?  So I moved on and made peace, and whilst making peace -- made beef shanks for the very first time. 

So the process went like this - super simple.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Salt and pepper both sides of each shank.

Heat some coconut oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.

Sear each shank (one at a time if necessary) about 2-3 minutes per side and then transfer them to a large baking dish.

Once all shanks are seared turn your heat down to medium and saute some minced garlic and some fresh thyme leaves for about a minute. 

Add 1 cup of beef broth to your skillet making sure to scrape all those wonderful little brown bits and let the mixture come to a boil - then reduce slightly.

Once reduced to your liking pour all the liquid over the shanks and add some more cloves of garlic along with some whole sprigs of whatever herbs you have handy.  In this case I had some more thyme and some leftover rosemary. 

Cover your dish with parchment paper and then aluminum foil and bake for 2 hours.



Along with the shanks I made a very delightful side item!!!
Bacon-Cranberry Kale that I found here


No comments:

Post a Comment