Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pecan & Coconut Crusted Cod Filets



So I have been making quite an effort to get at least one seafood based meal on the menu every week.  Fish is very under-appreciated in my opinion.  The wild-caught stuff might be harder to find for those that aren't as close to the coast as we are, but there are still some options.  This recipe I stumbled upon actually called for tilapia -- and I am not sure if wild-caught tilapia is something that exists, but I have only seen farm-raised at my store.  So, no problem there -- just went with another white fish that they had wild-caught and also on sale!  Cod.  I actually had never purchased cod before, but I certainly will from now on.  It's got a very mild flavor and not quite as flaky of a texture as tilapia.  For those of you that are still weird about appreciating fish taste-wise, cod might be for you. 

Enough blabbing!...on to the recipe.  This recipe is not an original of mine so I am not going to repost it.  You can find it here.  Here's the thing I have to say about crusts made with nuts:  I don't think they should be a staple in your weekly menu.  Believe it or not, fish tastes pretty darn good even if it's not coated in nut-crustiness.  But every once in a while it's nice for a bite to have some good crunch to it ;)  The fruit salsa on top was outstanding and really just rounded the richness of the whole meal out.  We ate ours with a side of roasted brussels sprouts, which I ate ALL of the leftovers for breakfast this morning.  Let me tell you -- my favorite breakfast in the whole wide world is the following:  Big mound o' brussels with strips of un-cured nitrate free bacon and fried eggs with really runny yolks.  Oh oooozzzy goodness.  Don't forget the hot sauce.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment